Monday, January 19, 2009

Get On Your Boots - the new U2 song

I must admit, I actually like the new U2 song, Get On Your Boots. As a former die-hard U2 fan who was obsessed with them all throughout their experimental Achtung Baby and Zooropa era, I was rather disappointed with their last "let's play it safe and be paradies of ourselves" album. But this song? This song almost, almost sounds as if they've rediscovered their experimental sides again. I'm now curious about how the rest of the album will be.

Edit (January 24, 2009): My sister insists U2 are merely trying too hard in this song, using any kind of catchy rock riff in an attempt to sound hip, but are failing miserably. She thinks they're trying too hard to cater to mainstream tastes with this song and she doesn't think U2 are being true to themselves - she doesn't think it would be a song U2 would listen to if they hadn't written it. Meanwhile, I am only seeing this song as a faint beacon that perhaps U2 will begin to push boundaries again, nothing more. I will forever remember Bono, in the early 90's - likely in Japan during the Zooropa tour - talking about the rock records of that decade, confidently declaring that "the records are boring". Keep in mind that this was when U2 were at the height of their musical experimentation which coincided with the peak of grunge. I just hope 16 years later they've rediscovered that side to their music again because I'm tired of being uninspired by the latest U2.


BTW - It just occurred to me that Zooropa is sixteen years old! 16! Wow! Time flies!

No comments: